Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Art of Procrastination

This is my second Slice of Life Post. I have accepted the challenge to write each day for 31 days. To learn more about this challenge visit Two Writing Teachers.

Well, this weekend is the final weekend to complete progress reports in my district. All reports are to be completed on online and ready for parents' eyes by Tuesday at midnight. So of course I have been overwhelmed with writing reports and combing through student work all weekend right? Well… no! Yesterday, I spent ALL afternoon playing around online figuring out my new blog,  my first post and looking to see how my kids were doing on their first day of the challenge.  In the evening I went to see my daughter perform in the La Bayadere Grimm: Unraveled.  It was a BEAUTIFUL performance the girls are all so dedicated and graceful. (I am sure I will write about being the mom of dancer in one of these 31 posts.)

But today is a day that deserves a post all it's own. Today is the day I perfected procrastination.  If your anything like me (and apparently all my teacher friends on Facebook) progress reports are a great motivator to do EVERYTHING except progress reports!  Somehow cleaning the bathroom that was fine a few days ago when you went to the movie MUST be cleaned right now!  And, that laundry well it's not going to fold it's self and why ask your kids or husband to step in, they deserve their day off. So you take one for the team and clean the bathroom and fold the laundry and immediately after that you WILL start the reports.

Just as you head into the quiet room of the house to get down to the reports you realize you really haven't spent much time with your daughter, she's 17 and will be going off to college soon. So you decide to go in the family room to work. You can do both, sit with her, have casual conversation and work…right? Well no, she's watching reality TV and somehow you just get pulled in, next thing you know you and your daughter are talking about the show and laughing together! Reports continue to wait patiently they understand the importance of this time.

All right, the shows over and your daughter pulls out her book bag.  OK, this is it time to get busy! But, maybe you should stop by Facebook before you get going, you might find some motivation there. Oh, look all your friends are commenting about all they've done today to avoid the inevitable time when they commit to their reports. So you post a comment and then next thing you know you stumble on a link to a Slice of Life post! Oh, how could that have slipped my mind? You have a post to write!  OK, this will be THE FINAL distraction. So you agree to write your post, it doesn't have to be fancy or anything, your new to this, it's early in the challenge and you have reports patiently waiting.

You open your blog and uh… uh… Oh, lets Google procrastination. Oh, Look at that cute visual teaching the world how NOT to procrastinate.  Hmmm, where are your colored pencils, what have YOU done today TO procrastinate?

Just as you're about to hit publish and get to those patiently waiting reports, you ask your daughter to listen to your post, she replies, "So you wrote a post about procrastination to procrastinate? " I love her sense of humor!

I would LOVE to hear how you have perfected the art of procrastination and all you have accomplished along the way,  it really is an art form!

16 comments:

  1. Oh Deb - I l.o.v.e. your post. The graphic is awesome. Procrastinators unite! So glad you also reminded me ... report cards are due tomorrow! Ack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, I had great fun writing this but I am still anxious to see how it is received...

      Delete
  2. Procrastination looks beautiful in colored pencils. I LOVE all the other choices you made prior to working on progress reports. FYI I have 24 persuasive essays to grade so I am right along with you on procrastinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and taking time to leave a comment Maria! I like your choice to comment here before grading those essays!

      Delete
  3. Oh yes! If it weren't for procrastination, nothing would get done in my life either! Especially during March when reading and writing blog posts is so much fun! I' glad our midterms are past and report cards aren't coming up for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is a beautiful thing! Glad you will be having a little extra to read, blog and comment! Thanks for taking time to comment!

      Delete
  4. Procrastination - yes! Why is there always something I want to do when I should be doing something I have to do? Love it! Right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Procrastination is the only thing that keeps us from living in less than favorable conditions!
      Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  5. You are going to love this. We are so in sync with each other. Trust me when I tell you that I wrote my post before I read yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to read! Jumping over there now before I find something to distract me! LOL

      Delete
  6. I have been so bad about this lately! Twitter and blogging is my biggest problem. I didn't do anything today because I just knew we were going to have a snow day! I hate it when I'm right! Oh well there is always tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to know you because reading this with your voice in my head made it that much more hilarious. I could hear you laughing through your talk as you told me all about procrastination. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, Betsy your comments means so much to me thank you! I was so nervous pushing publish, but I had to! I had so much fun writing it I took the risk, thanks for making me smile!

      Delete
  8. I am not too sure about a snow day for us…send us your snow over night because I am going to need that snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha-ha. Funny. I especially love the picture. Looking back at my week, I find that I have been pretty good at avoiding household chores. Slicing gives and excuse, so does reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this post Deb! I always love getting on FB the weekend progress reports are due to see what all my friends are doing. This cracked me up. I finally finished mine today. Oh, the tangled web we weave. :)

    ReplyDelete